4. The Music by A History Of Christian Worship
Cross Rhythms Product Code: 125654
Product Format: DVD
Content Type: Documentary
Cat. Code: 501405D
Release Date: 21 May 2012
For followers of Jesus Christ, worship has spanned over two thousand years to include a long and diverse history of sacred practices. The many ways in which the faithful have preserved and celebrated God's story is limited only by the human imagination.
A History of Christian Worship: Ancient Ways, Future Paths is a six-part series that explores centuries of worship practices, as seen through the eyes of Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox churches and discussed by leading voices from a cross-section of the Christian community. From scripture, sermons and creeds to baptism and the Eucharist, from art and music to drama and media, from prayer and contemplation to service and ministry, viewers will discover the significant people and events that have shaped history and learn how modern worship practices are rooted in the earliest foundations of the Christian faith.
Episode Four: The Music explores how liturgy and music have enriched the celebration of God's story throughout centuries of Christianity, including:
- Why time, place, structure and symbols are significant components of worship
- What elements of liturgy lead us to experience the glories of Heaven while on Earth
- How church music has evolved, from plainsong and chant to hymns and modern praise songs
- What the history of liturgy and music teach us about the debate over worship style
- How Jason Houser, a singer/songwriter and country music producer, helps families learn Scripture through music
For these topics and more, join us on a journey from ancient ways to future paths as we discover a history of Christian worship.